Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Reflections.

There are good days and bad days.

Think that Mom wouldn't like to see me on my bad days. She would never want me to be sad.

Almost two years ago, when she was first diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, she said... When I'm gone, don't mourn too long for me. I can almost feel her arms around me as she said it. We were sitting on my bed, talking. Everything had come so suddenly and was such a painful shock to us.

What do patients feel when you are breaking bad news to them?

What are they are thinking?

The only way for doctors to go on the day as per normal after breaking bad news is to not let sad incidents affect their interactions with other patients. It is not to say you cannot feel for the patient, but you must not let that get you down. There are other patients who need you as much.

Watching the doctors break bad news to one of our patients' a while back... I somehow saw Pap, Mom and myself in their position. It was strange. I knew that nothing could prepare you for the time death eventually comes, no matter how much you feel you have prepared for it.

There are so many little things that Mom's doctors have done for us that really made the difference. When I meet them now at SGH, it's another reminder that Mom has left me, but my heart is still warmed and I am always happy to see them. It is to say that no matter how dire the situation is, there are still things that we as physicians can do to make things better.

Alright. Enough for now.

Only time can make things feel better perhaps.

4 Comments:

Blogger Agnez said...

hi bean. haven't visited ur blog in a while. this post has really touched me and reading it has made me reflect on what is important in life. thank you. *hug*

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

big hugs

lovenat

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you are "feeling" better!

HCJC senior

11:08 PM  
Blogger bean said...

Thanks, Agnes, Nat and HCJC Senior. :)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home